Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Low-hanging fruit in a dense thicket of distraction

Gentlemen,

I am reclaiming my duty to act. For too long I've been a captive of my imagination. I've never stopped dreaming, never stopped creating wonderful scenarios in my minds eye. Despite, or perhaps because of, this propensity for dreaming, I've been hit with a jab enough times that I'm reluctant to let down my guard and fire a body shot once in a while. I'd forgotten how, exactly, to punch... how to set goals. The process of setting performance-based goals was liberating, but it doesn't free me from responsibility. It compels me to work diligently.

I've got to regain focus. Distractions abound. Goals can only be accomplished through effort and dedication. I can either be dedicated to the internet and its seductive tangential logic or I can be dedicated to my own course of self-improvement.

  • As I'm writing this, I quit Facebook. Time to get real.
  • Been eating better. Making food at home. Had a physical recently and while other vital signs are good, my blood pressure is not so hot. This could attributed to several factors, to genetics, but it could also be lifestyle based. Stress and laziness could also be culprits. Eating out constantly probably shoots my DRV of sodium by quite a bit. I need to cook for myself more, & monitor my salt intake. It's really not a good thing when your own laziness imperils your health. Eating out for me has been a matter of convenience, but it's not very convenient to have high blood pressure at 29.
  • I'm trying to move to NYC. Monday morning I sent an email to the head of Human Resources at NYU Wagner School of Public Policy. (I should note this was not done in a vacuum. My girlfriend, Grisel, was instrumental in laying the groundwork for this.)
  • Come payday, I know exactly which bike tools I'm going to buy to enable me to work on my own bike. For years, I've wanted the proper equipment to at least attempt my own repairs. Trying to fix your brakes while the bike is leaning up against the wall, moving every time you apply the slightest bit of torque with what is, inevitably not the correct wrench, is not fun. It is actually awful. A stand and a proper toolkit are what the bike doctor prescribes.
  • Don Quixote is on order.
I look forward to being in your corner. The bell has rung, and it's time to kick out the stool of complacency and fire back in combination.


2 comments:

  1. I like your statement about reclaiming your time, and dedicating it to carefully defined causes. Enough dreaming/planning, let's start DOing.

    I've personally never fallen deeply into the fb time sink (I quickly check for messages 2-3 times/wk), but I applaud your escape.

    Health is wealth; everything else follows. Remember doc's advice in just two critical places: entering the supermarket door, and the restaurant door.

    I think your email to the head of HR at NYU is the most directed, active effort you've made in the (~6 month running?) job search. Major props on this - its much more daunting than just filling out an online application or submitting your resume somewhere, but this guarantees that someone WITH THE AUTHORITY TO HIRE YOU actually knows about you. Huge step forward.

    It's delightful that you're reading Cervantes' masterpiece as part of this very anti-quixotic project. Away with the damn windmills, let's start tilting at some worthy realty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I easily squander a large amount of time on facebook. I've often thought about deleting it, but I've felt that it serves some purpose to me. I need to re-evaluate what I am doing with it. Also - good for you on the NYC thing. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism and enthusiasm are equally welcome.