Sunday, January 30, 2011

Somebody to body... I'm sorry, please forgive me

"Sickness comes in through the mouth, and age comes in through the legs" -Grandmaster Helio Gracie

With less than three weeks to go before I embark on my first MMA bout journey, I made a terrible mistake.
You see, I am pushing myself harder than I have in a long while. With that, comes certain distractions that one often forgets. The two biggest and most noticeable disturbances happen to be my incredible mood swings (yes, male PMS and then some) and my ravenous crave for calories. Having a wife to remind me of my ridiculousness is a tremendous compliment towards my demeanor, especially when interacting with people who perhaps have little understanding of the self inflicted anxieties that come with such a task. My mind (which rules the body) sees food and the rest is problematic. Currently my body is going through the lesson learned process of what follows when one isn't entirely conscientious of what it consumes. I have aches, chills, swollen glands and the like. Perhaps one calls it a cold, which has become foreign to me in adulthood.
Helio lived until his mid 90s and kept it simple (silly). He didn't eat fast food, didn't mix acidic foods, stayed away from pork, limited red meat and refrained from alcohol and any form of smoke. I too follow those rules but have a soft spot for sweets. Helio on the other hand believed if there was no benefit for your body, the food was not worthy of consumption. It isn't easy trying to justify pretzels, cannoli's and the mother of all weaknesses, ice cream. (Cue the music, "I'm only human, born to make mistakes").
My goals dwarf in comparison my desires for sweets, luxuries and the easier life. Instead of the I'll crack down and eat clean philosophy two weeks before the said event, I need to fine tune things and realize the six weeks required to acquire (I sound like Apollo Creed!) maximum results has no room for error. Ice cream, you'll always be there for me (and I will always love you). My body will only hold up for so long, so treating it right, right now is the way to go.

"A rabbit will run and the lion has nothing to fear" -Iron and Wine

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I think you've really nailed down the nuance in all this... smalls steps are made in everyday decisions (to eat or forgo a few bites of ice cream). Self control and discipline are all you need to get where you want to be. That can be applied to any pursuit in life.

    A bit of advice; stuff yourself sick with veggies. You'll have no room (or appetite) left for sweets. Oh yeah, and scarf down a big breakfast EVERY day. Most important meal, hands down.

    Good luck with the training! Keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Get yourself an air popper for popcorn. 2) Go to Sam's Club or BJ's and get a giant bag of kernels. 3) Enjoy a snack that is both filling and wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just downed 5 boiled carrots. Alan is a spokesperson for popcorn, I'm sure of it. Feeling good about life today and my confidence is at a healthy level. 8 days till I face my next inner demon and I intend on digging deep. More to come gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism and enthusiasm are equally welcome.