Sunday, February 6, 2011

Age ain't nothing but a number, right?

I am now into my fourth semester since deciding to go back to school two years ago for journalism. Writing and being a journalist has been a life long goal of mine, starting when I was quite young, and obsessed with reading the paper (remember those?) everyday. Writing has always come fairly easy to me, and it's been a somewhat smooth transition from occasional blog writer to actual reporter. I'm confident in my ability, and I produce decent work within my deadlines. To be clear, I am currently writing for the college paper. It's a paid position, and a chance to get experience. Aside from the bleak forecast on the future of journalism (I think it's a bit overblown, but still...), my main concern is my age. I'm easily the oldest person writing for the paper, and usually the oldest person in my journalism classes (I luck out with electives, I'm middle of the pack in those). I struggle with it almost everyday. I find it ridiculous at its base, but here I am, describing it to you. Clearly, my age provides many advantages, in terms of life experience and ability to work hard. The drawbacks are based on vague assumptions of what may happen in the future. Silly, right? Anyway, it's not going away. Thoughts, dear friends?

3 comments:

  1. You've got to recognize that you're just holding yourself back by claiming age as a handicap here. No one is criticizing you for it - it's all coming from your own voice. Face that fact, and drop it.

    The world population is growing constantly. Humans are increasingly interconnected, and society is becoming more complex and heterogeneous. Look at Egypt, or Lebanon; a well-informed public is absolutely critical right now. Kick ass journalists are needed more than ever. Accept that as a duty, opportunity and a privilege. The world needs you, so don't let it down by defeating yourself with negativity and creating (non-existent) limitations and excuses.

    In the 15 years that I've known you, I honestly think returning to school for journalism is the single best thing you've done for yourself. Yes, even better than taking that cheerful job as 'foreclosure reaper'. You should approach it as such; as a trade, and a calling.

    Age is about the past, and journalism is really about the future (about potentials and possibilities). Keep looking forward, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hasn't all those dead end jobs taught you the most important lesson to you by now? That you are worth much more than that and all you have to do is work towards proving it.
    I too started college late but I felt it served as a tremendous advantage against my fellow colleagues (kids don't know much and aren't as willing usually to work as hard for it...think about us at 19, yikes!). You are in good company because all the people that mean something to us in our lives may be a bit "behind" from the status quo but we all know once the playing fields are leveled again, our competition is doomed!
    Even if the New York Times doesn't end up giving you that sweet office space, in the end you'll be incredibly thankful for accomplishing a goal you've weighed years in doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. It basically confirms how silly the whole thing is. I'm not sure how, or why this became such an issue for me. It doesn't really matter. I am much happier in my life, and I do feel like I am accomplishing things I set out to do. School has a way of really challenging you, and making you do things you didn't think were possible. Great life lessons. I may not get that New York Times job, but I'm ok with that. I'm doing what I really want to do for the first time in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism and enthusiasm are equally welcome.